Saturday 12 June 2010

World Cup

Well it has finally started-
C'MON ENGLAND!!!!!!
While I am naturally behind my own country I am thinking of ways to use the World Cup to teach the children about the different nations taking part. Yesterday I put up an England flag on the wall ( I wanted to display it in the window but it took up too much light). The only other flag that I had was South Africa, which I also put up and it is quite appropriate as they are the hosting nation. As we have children from different countries I have and will be asking those parents if they can get hold of a flag to add to our collection.

So far the flags have been of great interest to the children and the parents, and have prompted lots of questions so I will be happy if all we get out of this is a knowledge of different flags and where those countries are situated (baby steps).

At this early stage of the tournament there are too many countries and too many matches on at the same time to be able to go into detail about them individually but when we get to the quarter finals it will be easier. There is also the fact that the majority of the children are not yet aware of football as a game so I think it will be a bit too much to take in especially with everything else that we will be doing in the next few weeks- charity walk, fathers day and me being away (woo hoo to hol).

All of the above will also depend on how England do- I mean will I still be wanting to talk about football if the worse happens???????????????????????

1 comment:

  1. Check out a site called Twinkl - no E! In the topics section they have a world cup page of printables - all for free. Also the letters and sounds stuff looks good!

    ReplyDelete